January 24, 2011

Ethakka Appam (Plantain Fritters)


Also known as Pazham Pori, this is my favorite snack since childhood. I can have it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. My kids have developed  taste for it too. I wish that ripe plantains were more readily available here in the Northwest. This recipe uses wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour (or maida). Not only does that add more flavor, it stays crisp even when cold. Amma suggested I add some black sesame seeds as well. I liked it. Yum!!!

Ingredients:
3 ripe plantains
1/2 cup wheat flour
1/4 cup rice flour
1 tsp black sesame seeds
2 tsps sugar
Salt to taste
Oil for deep frying

Method:
Mix all ingredients except the plantains. Add some water and make a batter (like a pakoda batter). Peel the plantains and cut each in half. Slice each half into three slices.

Heat oil in a kadhai (or a deep fry pan). Dip each slice in the batter and fry in hot oil until done. Drain onto a paper towel. Serve with chai.

Note: Plantains are ripe when the skin starts to darken and it is soft to touch. Plain yellow plantains are still raw.

No comments:

Post a Comment