November 25, 2016

Roasted Brussels Sprouts


Every Thanksgiving, I cook Brussels Sprouts. My kids love them. I, on the other hand, am a bit picky about the texture. So, I try a different recipe every time or tweak my experience from the previous year, hoping to get them perfectly caramelized on the outside and crunchy on the inside. I hate those mushy ones.

This year is the first time, it has worked to my satisfaction, so I quickly jotted down the recipe. The texture was perfectly balanced and the sprouts were loaded with flavor. I didn't have any leftovers either!

Ingredients:

2 lbs. Brussels Sprouts
2 tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
3 tbsp. Truffle Oil ( I got mine from Trader Joe's)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Method:

Pre-heat the oven to 400 deg. Set a large pot of water to boil. Wash and trim the sprouts. Cut them in half.

Put a tablespoon of salt in the boiling water and blanch the halved sprouts, for about 2 min. Drain the hot water and run some cold water through the sprouts and drain again. This will halt the cooking process inside the sprouts.

Whisk the oil and balsamic vinegar together. Add salt and pepper to taste. Whisk again. Toss the blanched sprouts into this dressing.

Coat a baking tray with a thin layer of oil and arrange the sprouts evenly on it. Make sure the cut side is facing up. Spoon in the remaining dressing into the cut tops of the sprouts.

Bake for 15 minutes in the top 1/3 of the oven. Change the oven setting to Hi-Broil and broil for 5-8 minutes. Its important to keep a watch on the sprouts now to prevent it from getting burnt.

When desired caramelization is achieved, remove from oven and toss the sprouts in the tray to absorb the bubbling dressing at the bottom of the pan.

Roasted pancetta bits on top were a big hit with the kids last year. I like mine with a splash of lime juice and red chili flakes on top. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment